Florida Pain Medicine
Pain Management Physicians located in Wesley Chapel, Zephyrhills, and Brandon, FL
If you’ve experienced back pain, you’re not alone -- it’s the number one cause of disability worldwide. The expert pain management team at Florida Pain Medicine, with locations in Wesley Chapel, Zephyrhills, Brandon, Riverview, and Tampa, Florida, offers the most advanced options in back pain management for patients of all ages who experience chronic or acute back pain. The medical team specializes in cutting-edge interventional pain procedures to help you "Restore Function & Relive Life". Call or schedule an appointment online today.
Back Pain Q & A
What are Some Common Causes of Back Pain?
The three common causes of back pain most likely to keep you from going to work or accomplishing daily activities are arthritis, degenerative disc disease, and failed back surgery syndrome.
- Arthritis: Arthritis is one of the most common causes of back pain. As you age, the bones in your spine can slowly degenerate and may pinch nerves or other supportive tissue in your spine. This leads to inflammation and pain in your lower back, upper back, or anywhere the pain radiates.
- Degenerative Disc Disease: Degenerative disc disease is another cause of back pain. When the soft discs between your vertebrae begin to deteriorate with age, they provide less cushion between the bones in your spine. Often, your vertebrae react by increasing bone growth, known as bone spurs. These spurs can put pressure on your spine and cause inflammation and pain.
- Failed Back Surgery Syndrome (FBSS): FBSS causes chronic back pain for many adults. Scar tissue and recurring herniated discs after back surgery can compress your spinal nerves and hinder your mobility. FBSS can be extremely painful and debilitating if left untreated.
Other causes of back pain include:
- Sprains or strains from lifting heavy objects or twisting
- Sports injuries
- Auto injuries
- Poor posture
- Skeletal irregularities
Any of these, if left untreated, can cause complications and affect your overall quality of life.
How is Back Pain Treated?
The treatment for back pain depends largely on its cause, so before the doctors at Florida Pain Medicine create a customized treatment plan for you, they determine the underlying cause of your back pain, especially if it’s chronic. Once they determine the cause, they explain their goals and any recommended procedures that can help you minimize your painful symptoms.
The highly skilled medical team at Florida Pain Medicine specialize in interventional pain procedures. These types of procedures are meant to treat your pain and help you manage it so you can get on with your daily life. Some of these interventional pain techniques include:
- Epidural injections
- Peripheral nerve blocks
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Selective epidural and root blocks
- Facet injections and medial branch blocks
- Kyphoplasty to treat fractures
What Factors Determine if I Need Surgery for Chronic Back Pain?
For the most part, your doctor only considers surgery as a last resort if all other therapies don’t provide long-term relief from your back pain. In many situations, and with a combination of less invasive procedures and time, the experienced team at Florida Pain Medicine can get you comfortably back on your feet again without having to undergo surgery.
If you have chronic pain and managing it yourself just isn’t working any longer, call or schedule an appointment online for a consultation.